2007-06-25

Reading spree


Since I am on parental leave of absence, I have some time in my hands - I never could sleep during the day to recover from long nights. After finishing 'Don't make me think', I dug into Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days.
These are a series of interviews with the founders of some of the most successful IT companies. My personal favourites are:
  • Steve Wozniak - Apple Computer - how a geek and his love for engineering and passion for perfection made one of the best computer products ever;
  • Evan Williams - Pyra Labs (Blogger.com) - how he hung to the company and worked solo and for no pay after it went bankrupt, and how he finally managed to sell it to google;
  • Tim Brady - Yahoo - fascinating story of the internet early early days;
  • Paul Buchheit - Worker number 26 of Google. Shows some insight on the internals of Google;
  • Paul Graham - Viaweb - Witty, funny, insightful, excelent writer. I recommend reading Hackers and Painters: Essays on the Art of Programming;
  • Caterina Fake - Flickr - why and how you should adapt and evolve from your original plans;
  • Brewster Kahle - WAIS, Internet Archive, Alexa Internet - the vision of one of the web messias. How you should have a long long (life long) term vision and stick with it;
  • Charles Geschke - Adobe Systems - how competence and technological superiority beat big ones like Microsoft and Apple. How to evolve and invest to survive;
  • Stephen Kaufer - Trip Advisor - My love for the tourism market...
  • Blake Ross - Firefox - how a great hacker made a great product;